Social Listening

 The brand I selected is BMW, I chose this brand because I drive a BMW and I happen to love it, so I thought it'd be interesting to do a little more research to see what people are saying right now. 


First, I can tell you without any research that many long time BMW M car fans are not too happy with the grille of the new 2021 G80 M3. It being so big and different from past models has a lot of people a lot angrier than the average person would expect someone to be about a car. 


The companies' value proposition is very simple, super car like performance and luxury at an attainable price point. Along with this comes a pact like feel for other BMW owners, especially the ones with your exact car. 

Here are three examples straight from BMW's Instagram, one of which are not so happy about this new design, and another praising a different car they just released. 




In this bottom picture you can see three comments back to back where people are complaining about the new grille design. In this case I think it was a good idea for them to respond to the nicer comments, a little bit of interaction with the people who buy these cars cant hurt. 

BMW's Instagram is pretty much entirely for marketing, they post nothing but extremely high quality pictures of their cars. Their main goal with social media is to engage with their customers, have them seeing a new BMW everyday until they buy one. And it seems this is working very well, with this account have over thirty million followers they certainly have a large audience seeing these posts. I don't think BMW is facing any marketing challenges in particular, but if I had to choose something I would say it would be their audience. If I had to guess, I would say a majority of their sales are from older men, probably 40-65. The problem with this is those people are not on Instagram, so in that aspect it would be harder to expand their target audience. But at the same time it is far easier to market to new buyers with such a large social media following.

If I were the brand manager I would respond to the people saying they aren't liking what they see, I would try to figure out why, see if this is a universal problem, or see if this is a single person or group of people nit picking.  

I didn't learn anything from this project, being that I am already an avid BMW follower, I know how they are doing their marketing and I know how people are responding. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Americas favorite meat is now fake?